Sunday, October 15, 2006

Microcredit makes the big time

I know I've been beating the drum for a while, but notice that Microcredit has hit the big time with the Nobel Peace Prize being awarded to Muhammed Yunus, the founder of Grameen bank -- the granddaddy of all microcredit enterprises. (see the news story here -- thanks to Presbyweb for the link).

Followers of the Eagle and Child know I've been posting on this in the past:
* Talking about my experiences with Kiva, a popular microlending non-profit.
* Explaining the concept as an alternative to big check handouts to developing world governments.
* Writing on the mentality of handouts vs the mentality of loans.

Needless to say, I'm pretty jazzed that one of the pioneers in this field was chosen as a Nobel Laureate.

Soli Deo Gloria
Russell