Saturday, June 17, 2006

Excursis -- Things the PCUSA is doing right

One of the great blessings is being able to connect with mission folk from all around the world. Some of our least recognized missionaries in the PCUSA are our military chaplains.

This afternoon, I saw one of our Navy Chaplains having lunch by herself -- being the gregarious soul that I was, I asked if I could join her -- her name is Victoria Kelly. I found her to be passionate about her relationship with Jesus Christ. Her testimony about how God got hold of her and called her to ministry made me feel very confident that this was a woman who glorfied Jesus in her ministry and who cared deeply for our military personnel.

I know that there are some in our circles who believe that we shouldn't have military chaplains -- they think that any involvement with the military is an endorsement of war and oppression. To my mind, it is a great blessing that when we ask our young men and women to put their lives on the line for our country, we provide chaplains who are available for spiritual counsel and encouragement. In our congregation, we pray regularly for our military chaplains and we're proud of them. Having had the chance to get to know some of our chaplains, I can assure you, they are fine people and worth our encouragement and support.

Soli Deo Gloria
Russell